My daughter, Sophie, and I make these delicious rum balls for friends and family to enjoy each holiday season. These tasty morsels of chocolate and rum evoke the flavors of Christmas and are highly addictive, you’ll find yourself reaching for another and another. We hope you enjoy these little treats with the ones you love this holiday season!
Holiday Chocolate Rum Balls
Prep Time 30 mins | Cook Time 30 mins | Total Time 1 hr | Serving: ~ 60
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ - ½ cup dark rum
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ~ 2 cups dry shredded coconut unsweetened
- ~ 1 cup of your favorite soft caramels, cut up into small pieces (1/4”)
- Optional: 1 cup pecans or walnuts finely chopped
Psst… Our big secret is the cake mix. It saves time and is just as delicious as homemade cake.
- Make the cake as directed on the box and allow it to cool. You can always make this the day before to speed up the process.
- To Make the rum ball mixture: Remove the cake from the baking pan, and crumble it up in a big bowl. Add the powdered sugar, rum, cocoa powder, and (the optional chopped nuts). Mix well. Initially, you may think there's not enough moisture, but as you mix it, it will all incorporate really well and you will be able to roll rum balls. If you find the mixture is too dry add more rum.
- Assemble the rum balls: Start rolling, the rum balls should be just a little over an inch in diameter. I usually just use my clean hands, roll the mixture and before it becomes a ball push a piece of caramel into the center and continue to roll the rum ball. After you rolled them between your hands, roll them in the coconut, making sure you get a generous coating of shredded coconut.
- Place on a cookie sheet and freeze. These are best served straight from the freezer.