A breakfast parfait is a great way to transition your breakfast to reflect the fresh energy of spring & summer. Essentially, this combo is a dairy-free creamy base (either dairy-free yogurt or chia pudding) + granola + fruit. It’s endlessly customizable!
Chia pudding makes a great base for a breakfast parfait. It’s simple: dairy-free milk, chia seeds, and some vanilla extract for flavor. Once you’ve made it, you can make adjustments to suit your texture preferences - if it’s too thick, add more liquid (even water to thin) and if it’s too liquidy, add more chia seeds. Different dairy-free milks will yield different results.
Whichever dairy-free milk you choose, choose unsweetened options. Fruit and granola add sweetness. If you want to use yogurt for your parfait, there are many delicious store-bought dairy-free yogurt. Again, choose plain and unsweetened.
Whether you make your own granola or you’re shopping for it at the store, look for options that are low in sugar and sweetened with ingredients like maple syrup, honey, and coconut sugar. A helpful tip when shopping is to look for granola varieties that are labeled as “paleo.” Not always, but when it comes to granola, this usually implies that it’s gluten-free, minimally sweetened with natural sweeteners only, and usually has a lot of nuts and seeds.
Use your choice of fresh or frozen fruit. I keep frozen wild blueberries on hand which work great in a parfait.
- 1.5 cups of non-dairy milk (or 1 can of coconut milk)
- ¼ cups chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To serve: your choice of fruit and granola
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and allow to sit overnight in the fridge, or at least 20 minutes at room temperature before serving.
- To serve, make a parfait using a few spoonfuls of chia pudding, some fresh or frozen fruit, and topped with your choice of granola.