Summer Hair Care Tips
Ahhh, sweet summer time. The sounds & smells, the balmy air and the saltwater. Creating memories filled with blissful days at the beach, sun-soaked skin, flawless beach hair, and endless nights under a starlit sky. There is nothing quite like it! We New Englanders sure know how to take advantage of sun-drenched days, yet too much sun and seawater can actually cause havoc on our hair, leaving it feeling dry, frizzy, and brittle.
But don’t fret, proper hair care and eating a well-balanced diet will keep your locks feeling and looking healthy all summer long:
- Our first suggestion, start the season with a good cut. Sure, our current salon experience is different than we’ve ever known, but trimming off dead ends will rejuvenate your hair in preparation for your fun in the sun.
- Good shampoo and conditioner are key! And by good, we are talking about clean beauty – free from damaging chemicals, parabens, perfumes, sulfites, you name it! We recommend Oway- Organic Way, found at janegee store. It’s clean, nourishing and healthy for hair. Oway’s Sunway After Sun collection is our go-to for the summer months!
- The shampoo is a restorative, moisturizing hair bath for detoxifying and repairing the skin and scalp after days spent in the sun at the beach or pool. It gently removes traces of salt, chlorine, sand, and sunscreen which can leave the skin and hair feeling dull and dry.
- The conditioner an ultra-restorative conditioner that replenishes hair stressed by the sun, sand and pool. It's precious mix of Avocado, Ethical Passionfruit and Organic Baobab oils deeply nourish and repair the hair fiber. Brazilian Jicama Extract mends cuticle scales and replenishes the hair fiber.
- Speaking of shampoo, don’t over wash your hair. If the roots get oily use a good dry shampoo – have you given our very own a try?
- Rinse your hair with raw, organic apple cider vinegar to remove chlorine and rebalance the pH of your scalp for the days when you’re poolside.
- Hydrate dry ends with janegee Bulgarian Rose Oil or Face Oil No.3.
- Try our janegee Hair Oil or Tea Tree Essential Oil to keep scalp and hair healthy.
- Cover up with a hat to limit UV ray exposure
- Make a mineral-rich hair mask to give your hair shine and bounce:
- Mix 2-3 tablespoons of janegee Marine Mask, 1 teaspoon of shea oil, jojoba oil, castor oil or neem oil with enough janegee Rose Hydrosol (floral water) to create a wet paste
- Apply to scalp and comb through ends
- Wrap hair up and leave on for 20 minutes (try using a shower cap)
- Rinse off and shampoo as usual
- For best results, repeat once per week
Eating for healthy hair:
Eating a well-balanced diet filled with vitamins A, C, D and E, zinc, B vitamins, iron, biotin, protein and essential fatty acids can prevent hair loss, aid in hair growth and keep your tresses and scalp happy & healthy. Here are some recommended hair healthy foods:
- Eggs (also contain biotin)
- Lean beef
- Spinach and dark leafy greens
- Sweet potatoes
- Seeds (flax & pumpkin)
Between these savvy hair care tips and eating a hair-healthy diet, your luscious locks will stay strong and hydrated no matter what summer adventures come your way!