Having fungus on your nails can be painful, irritating, and unsightly. It can cause discoloration to your nails, and even loss of the nail! For some, this is an embarrassing condition and it can often go unattended. Don't let your infected nails trouble you, we are here to help!
Why is nail fungus so common? Fungi love to eat keratin and protein. Nail fungi find their way into the superficial layers of the skin and it only takes a few days for them to germinate and spread their spores. Our nails become their food and fertilizer. Our sweat becomes the irrigation they need to thrive. It's easy to pick up a fungal infection from your own body and transfer it to your nails. When you scratch other parts of your body with fungal infections such as your beard or scalp, the infection can transfer to your nails. Even scratching your pet can cause fungi to be transferred to your nails. If you are healthy, eat well, and have good hygiene habits, the likelihood of you getting a fungal infection is very slim. However, there are times when our immune systems are rundown, or when we may be out of our normal environment, and fungal infections may unfortunately take hold. When you focus on your general health, good nutrition, and good hygiene, it is harder for a fungal infection to thrive.
So, what do you do when you think you have fungus? The first step is to get a proper diagnosis. Head to your doctor and have it diagnosed correctly. Once you know what you're dealing with, you can take the appropriate steps to treat it.
Natural Remedies for Nail Fungus:
- First, have it diagnosed correctly
- Increase garlic in your diet - you can even try mincing garlic and applying a compress on the infected toes to try and help with the infection
- A tincture of Echinacea - This is great to take daily. It helps the body to rid itself of microbial infections
- If your nail fungus is on your hands, wear gloves when doing wet wor
- Keep your nails short, clean, and dry
- Take B group vitamins
- Boost your immune system
- Essential Oils - Oregano, Thyme, Myrrh, and Melablend are oils that can help fight the infection. Keep an eye out for our brand new Nail Serum No.2 which will be available in store and online very soon! We specifically designed this serum to help with fungal infections and to strengthen your nails from further fungal invasions.
Did you know that by law we cannot service clients with nail fungus? The NH law states:
A licensee shall not:
- Perform services on a client if the license has reason to believe the client has any of the following:
- ⋅A communicable disease;
- A contagious condition;
- An infected, broken, raised or swollen skin or nail tissue; or
- An open wound or sore in the area to be worked on that would contraindicate the efficacy of the service
Please remember to always mention if you have nail fungus when you go to get your nails done. It is important information and any salon should know before you come in. We hate having to turn anyone away, but when it comes down to potentially infecting other clients, we have to put safety first. Our technicians can advise you on how best to move forward with treating your fungal infection.
Let us help you get your nails feeling healthy and clean again, so you can treat yourself to that mani/ pedi you love!
If you have any more questions around this topic, do not hesitate to reach out! I am always here to help!