5 Tips for Teenage Acne
Is your teen struggling with acne? We know teenage years can be hard and the last thing any teen wants is to feel insecure about their skin. We’re here to assure you, acne doesn’t have to be an added stressor in your child’s life. Our team can help! Share the following tips with your teen so they can learn how to effectively treat their acne and maintain healthy, clear skin.
1. Don’t Sleep With Makeup On: We know days can feel extra long when you are a teen. Between school, sports, work, and socializing you are probably exhausted by the end of the day and may be thinking to yourself “I’ll just wash my makeup off in the morning.” Please do NOT do that. If you plan to wear makeup during the day, plan to take it off at night. The last thing you want to do is leave all that makeup on your face all day and all night. We can’t stress this enough, removing makeup is vital to keeping your skin healthy and performing its best. Also, be sure that you don’t just stop there. Using makeup wipes doesn't count as washing your face. Always follow up by washing your face with a natural treatment cleanser. Now let’s dive into why cleansing is so important.
2. Wash Your Face Morning & Night: The most important step towards clearing up your acne and maintaining healthy skin is to establish a daily skincare regime that always starts with cleansing your skin. Washing your face with the right cleanser is the single most crucial step toward keeping your skin healthy and clear. Excessive dirt build up on the surface can cause blockages of the follicle, trapping sebum (oil), sweat, and dead skin cells. The lack of sebum on the skin’s surface allows bacteria to penetrate the follicle causing inflammation. The final result is acne. Daily skin cleansing clears pores of debris to prevent dirt buildup which will allow the sebum oil to reach the skin surface unimpeded and decrease the chances of a breakout.
When it comes to which cleanser to use, we recommend using our Clear Skin oil cleanser. Did you know that an oil cleanser actually allows your skin to even out its oil production? If you are using the wrong products and constantly stripping the skin of its natural oils, it will move into hyperdrive overproducing oils. Jane originally made the popular Clear Skin cleanser for a young client who had suffered with cystic acne and problematic skin for years and it quickly became one of our most loved products. Clear Skin will balance oil production, refine, moisturize, and leave your skin soft, smooth, and healthy. Once you start using it, you won’t ever want to go back to using anything else.
3. Scrub Your Floor, NOT your face: Did you know that the extra skincare products you are using could be making your skin even worse. Did you know that you should never exfoliate your skin? Contrary to popular belief, exfoliating is terrible for the skin and actually undermines all of the effort you are putting into your skincare routine. Additionally, exfoliating the skin can cause lasting damage. If you want to learn more about why you should never exfoliate and what you can do instead, click here.
4. Detox Your Skin: Detoxing your skin on a regular basis is very important. We highly encourage you to detox your skin using one of our janegee Pure Botanical Clays at least once a week. Our natural, mineral-rich Clay Masks are incredible at detoxing because they become electrically charged when you mix them with water. What does that mean? Well, when positive and negative ions attract each other the clay will draw up the heavy metals, dirt, and debris from the skin and wash them away. Your skin will feel incredible after.
5. Adjust Your Diet: Your face is a direct window into your digestive system. It tells you what your internal landscape is like. If an imbalance exists in your gut, it will be reflected in the health of your skin. Because of that, it is important to be aware of the food that you are consuming and how they could be affecting your acne problems. For example, when you eat food that is high in sugar and carbs, it can often trigger your acne. This is because when you do so, the insulin in your body increases. This causes your pores to secrete sebum, a greasy substance that attracts bacteria. Your skin cells will be encouraged to multiply as well. All of this creates the perfect environment for acne to grow and flourish.
A healthy gut is truly a key component of healthy skin. We recommend that you start to really look at your diet. Additionally, identify any food sensitivities you may have and limit those foods. Also make an effort to limit highly processed foods. Many processed foods are highly inflammatory and contain ingredients that disrupt the balance of the microbiome.
We want to emphasize that your teen does not have to continue to suffer with acne. By following these few simple steps, your teen will start seeing results and be on their way to attaining healthy and clear skin. If you would like more personalized and direct guidance for your teen, we suggest booking a Discovery Consultation with one of our knowledgeable skincare professionals. Through this consultation we can help determine the cause of the acne or irritations, as well as create a custom routine of products and practices for at home use. If you have any questions about booking or products, feel free to email or call us. We’re here to help! Let’s Become Better Together!